"Shem Creek Recipes"
- 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 ears white corn, off the cob
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapenos
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk, as needed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
In deep fryer, heat 1 inch of oil to 365 degrees.
Mix together dry ingredients, and in another bowl, wet ingredients. Stir in corn.
Combine until just mixed. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Scoop tablespoon size pieces of batter and gently drop into oil. Cook the hush puppies, 6 at a time, until brown.
Remove with slotted spoon and roll on paper towels to drain for a minute.
Yields 2 dozen.
Copyright © 2020 Dorothea Benton Frank. All rights reserved.